About the Conceptual Phase (April 2015 – 2017)
The FiTI is currently in its conceptual phase. A detailed framework (the so-called FiTI Standard) is being developed by the FiTI Secretariat.
This framework will build on and support existing efforts that seek to strengthen transparency and participation in fisheries. It will define:
- What information should be made public;
- How transparency can be achieved; and
- How the initiative will be governed.
The FiTI Principles, which reflect the beliefs and aims of all FiTI stakeholders, represent the cornerstones of this initiative.
The FiTI Standard is being developed in close consultation with an International FiTI Advisory Group. This high-level multi-stakeholder group consists of renowned fisheries and governance experts from governments, companies and civil society. The International FiTI Advisory Group is chaired by Prof. Dr. Peter Eigen.
Meetings of the International FiTI Advisory Group:
- 1st Advisory Group meeting in Berlin/Germany – 24 July 2015
- 2nd Advisory Group meeting in Rome/Italy – 21 October 2015
- 3rd Advisory Group meeting in Nouakchott/Mauritania – 4 February 2016
- 4th Advisory Group meeting in Madrid/Spain – 15 June 2016
- 5th Advisory Group meeting in Gothenburg/Sweden– 9 November 2016
The International FiTI Advisory Group is chaired by Prof. Dr. Peter Eigen.
During the conceptual phase, the FiTI Secretariat promotes the initiative globally, seek to obtain commitments from countries all over the world for implementation, and has been supporting the 1st International FiTI Conference in Nouakchott/Mauritania on 3 February 2016.
The 1st High-level International Conference of the FiTI took place on Feruary 3rd, 2016 in Nouakchott, Islamic Republic of Mauritania. Amongst others, the conference was aimed to:
- Discuss the value of transparency in global fisheries
- Present the Fisheries Transparency Initiative (FiTI)
- Adopt the key principles of the FiTI
- Launch the FiTI National Multi-Stakeholder Group in Mauritania
- Announce commitments from other countries
2017 and beyond
Following the conceptual phase, the FiTI will enter into the ongoing implementation phase once the first countries are publically committing to
- implement the FiTI and
- Establish an FiTI National Multi-Stakeholder Group in their country.
At the same time, a FiTI International Board will be established. To ensure an efficient and effective transition, members of the International Advisory Group will be invited to serve in the 1st International Board.
It is expected that the 2nd International Conference of the FiTI will mark the transition of the FiTI to its implementation phase.