Objectives of the Conceptual Phase (May 2015 – April 2017)
The FiTI Standard (27 April 2017) has been developed by the FiTI International Secretariat, in close consultation with an International FiTI Advisory Group. This high-level multi-stakeholder group consisted of renowned fisheries and governance experts from governments, companies and civil society. The International FiTI Advisory Group is chaired by Prof. Dr. Peter Eigen.
Meetings of the International FiTI Advisory Group:
- 1st Advisory Group meeting in Berlin/Germany – 24 July 2015
- 2nd Advisory Group meeting in Rome/Italy – 21 October 2015
- 3rd Advisory Group meeting in Nouakchott/Mauritania – 4 February 2016
- 4th Advisory Group meeting in Madrid/Spain – 15 June 2016
- 5th Advisory Group meeting in Gothenburg/Sweden– 9 November 2016
During the conceptual phase, the FiTI International Secretariat also promoted the initiative globally, obtained commitments from 5 Pilot countries (i.e. Guinea, Indonesia, Mauritania, Senegal, Seychelles), and conducted the 1st International FiTI Conference in Nouakchott/Mauritania on 3 February 2016 as well as the 2nd International FiTI Conference in Bali/Indonesia on 27 April 2017.
Funding of the Conceptual Phase
The 2-year Conceptual Phase was financially supported by the Government of the Islamic Republic of Mauritania.
- 01 April 2015 – 31 January 2016: 290 000 EUR
- 01 March 2016 – 28 February 2017: 267 797 EUR
Furthermore, the Conceptual Phase was also supported by the Government of the Republic of Guinea:
- 01 July 2016 – 30 June 2017: 94 566 EUR
These contributions included support for both governments in implementing the first sign-up steps as well as the development of the detailed FiTI Standard.