The FiTI Secretariat is actively promoting the benefits of the Fisheries Transparency Initiative, travelling on the road, through the air and on the water:
- 27-28 June 2017: The FiTI International Secretariat will participate in the Western Indian Ocean Regional Workshop on the Fisheries Transparency Initiative (FiTI), Mahé/Seychelles
- 21 June 2017: The FiTI International Secretariat will present the initiative at the PECH Committee of the European Parliament, Brussels/Belgium
- 16-17 May 2017: The FiTI International Secretariat will participate in the International Conference on Seafood Transparency towards Sustainable Fisheries, Waseda University, Tokyo/Japan
- 27 April 2017: The Government of the Republic of Indonesia hosted the 2nd International Conference of the FiTI, Bali/Indonesia.
- 5 April 2017: The FiTI International Secretariat participated in the 20th meeting of LDAC Working Group 5, Brussels/Belgium.
- 27-30 March 2017: The FiTI International Secretariat conducted its second country visit to Guinea, Conakry/Guinea.
- 30-31 March 2017: The FiTI International Secretariat participated in the 2017 OECD Global Anti-Corruption & Integrity Forum, Paris/France.
- 20-22 February 2017: The International FiTI Secretariat participated in the Workshop on the elaboration of an action plan on over-exploitation of small pelagic species in West Africa, Saly/Senegal.
- 12-13 January 2017: The International FiTI Secretariat conducted its 3rd country visit in Mauritania, during which the National FiTI Multistakeholder Group met for the first time.
- 15-16 December 2016: The FiTI Secretariat conducted its 1st country visit to Conakry/Guinea to officially launch the FiTI process in the country. During the visit, the FiTI Secretariat met with the Fisheries Minister, the Prime Minister as well as Guinea’s President H.E. Prof. Alpha Condé. They also participated in an information workshop on fisheries transparency and the FiTI in Guinea, which gathered approx. 80 participants from the Government, the private sector and the civil society.
- 2 December 2016: The FiTI Secretariat will participate in the session “Shared Planet, Shared Responsibility: Creating Multi-Stakeholder Alliances to combat Wildlife, Forest and Fisheries Crime” at the 17th International Anti-Corruption Conference, Panama.
- 9 November 2016: The FiTI Secretariat organized the 5th International Advisory Group meeting of the FiTI, kindly hosted by the Swedish Agency for Marine and Water Management with the financial assistance of the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA), Göteborg/Sweden.
- 13-14 October 2016: The FiTI Secretariat presented the FiTI at the Conference “Combating Tax Crimes and Other Crimes in the Fisheries Sector” organized by the OECD, Paris/France
- 14 July 2016: The FiTI Secretariat has been invited to organize a side-event at the 32nd session of the Committee on Fisheries (COFI), 12.30 – 14.00, Rome/Italy.
- 15 June 2016: The FiTI Secretariat organized the 4th International Advisory Group meeting of the FiTI, kindly hosted by the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Environment of Spain, Madrid/Spain.
- 2-3 June 2016: The FiTI Secretariat participated in the workshop “Sustainable Fisheries Partnership Agreements and Good governance in ATLAFCO zone” jointly organized by the ATLAFCO Secretariat and the LDAC, El Jadida/ Morocco.
- 23-27 May 2016: The FiTI Secretariat conducted the second feasibility study of the FiTI in Mauritania. Through interviews with different fisheries stakeholders, the goal of this study was to provide insight on the practicalities of country reporting in Mauritania. The final report will be published on the FiTI website.
- 19 May 2016: The FiTI Secretariat attended the 6th Forum of artisanal fisheries stakeholders organized by the Aprapam: “Transparency in Senegal management of fisheries: what strategy for the sustainable development of fisheries?”, M’Bour/Senegal.
- 22-23 April 2016: The FiTI Secretariat hosted a 2-day Technical Working Group meeting in Berlin in order to discuss the reporting elements and methodology in more details.
- 14 April 2016: The FiTI Secretariat hosted the session “From Transparency to Accountability: Credible Information Supports Responsible Fisheries” as part of the Civil Society Policy Forum of the IMF/World Bank 2016 Spring Meetings (4pm-5.30pm), Washington D.C.
- 7-11 April 2016: The FiTI Secretariat conducted the first feasibility study of the FiTI in the Seychelles. Through interviews with different fisheries stakeholders in the Seychelles, the goal of this study was to provide insight on the practicalities of country reporting. The final report will be published on the FiTI website.
- 3-5 April 2016: The FiTI Secretariat participated in the 2016 Conference of Ministers, Addis Ababa/Ethiopia.
- 16-23 February 2016: The FiTI Secretariat conducted a country visit in Mozambique to promote the FiTI and to meet fisheries stakeholders.
- 15-16 February 2016: 15-16 February 2016: The FiTI Secretariat participated in the panel discussion on “International regulatory instruments: where now, and where next?” as part of the 9th Chatham House International Forum on Illegal, Unreported and Unregulated Fishing, London/UK.
- 4 February 2016: The FiTI Secretariat organized the 3rd International Advisory Group meeting of the FiTI in Nouakchott/Mauritania, one day after the 1st International Conference of the FiTI.
- 3 February 2016: The Islamic Republic of Mauritania hosted the 1st International Conference of the FiTI, Nouakchott/Mauritania.
- 18-22 January 2016: The FiTI was represented at the think tank meeting on governance of the African small-scale fisheries and its contribution to the accelerated agricultural transformation goals of Africa, Dakar/Senegal.
- 19 January 2016: The FiTI was represented at the Blue Economy Summit II, Abu Dhabi/United Arab Emirates.
- 10-11 December 2015: The FiTI Secretariat was invited to Indonesia by H.E. Susi Pudjiastuti, the Indonesian Minister for Fisheries and Maritime Affairs in order to discuss the role of Indonesia in the FiTI. During this visit, Prof. Dr. Eigen and Mr. Biermann met H.E. Pudjiastuti in Jakarta. The Ministry of Marine Affairs and Fisheries of the Republic of Indonesia also held a seminar with 50-70 fisheries representatives from Governments, Businesses and Civil Society organizations on the importance of transparency and participation for good governance.
- 4 December 2015: The FiTI was introduced at the major climate conference COP21, Paris/France.
- 21-23 November: The FiTI was represented during the World Fisheries Day 2015, Agadir/Maroc.
- 26-28 October: The FiTI Secretariat was in Senegal to promote the FiTI. Amongst others, the Secretariat met members of the Senegalese Government, international organizations which are active in Senegal; civil society organizations; as well as artisanal fisheries organizations.
- 21 October 2015: The FiTI Secretariat conducted the 2nd International FiTI Advisory Group meeting, Rome/Italy (hosted by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations).
- 04-07 October: The FiTI Secretariat conducted the 2nd Country Visit to Mauritania (for short report on the 1st visit click here). The Secretariat met the Mauritanian Minister for Economic Affairs and Development, H.E. Sid’Ahmed Raïss, and other Government representatives; international organizations which are active in Mauritania; as well as Mauritanian civil society organizations. This visit was the occasion to present the FiTI and to discuss the current status of the initiative as well as to plan the 1st International Conference of the FiTI.
- 17 September 2015: The FiTI was presented at the conference of the Long Distance Advisory Council (LDAC) on “The External Dimension as a driver for change”, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria/Spain.
- 4 September 2015: The FiTI was presented at the “International Anti-Corruption Conference (IACC)”, Putrajaya/Malaysia, at a panel on global multi-stakeholder transparency initiatives.
- 24 July 2015: The FiTI Secretariat conducted the 1st International FiTI Advisory Group meeting, Berlin/Germany, July 24th.
- 16 April 2015: FiTI was presented at the World Bank’s Spring Meeting event “Improving livelihoods and creating wealth through sustainable fisheries”, Washington D.C./United States.